Skip to main content

"I want Queen Latifah as an author's assistant." - Erik 2k17



"It turns out I read a lot of books about food and cooking and restaurant."
"I love stories about people who find their true calling."
"The thing I procrastinate on more than anything else: activating a new debit card."

"Got my first "ma'am" today. I guess I really am getting old."
"I cracked open an egg today with two yokes."


On a grimy morning of October 9, 2017 ...a composed red-haired man magically appeared in a quiet classroom - wearing the world's shiniest shoes, the milkiest dress shirt, and slacks in apple-pie order.

I, on the other hand, looked disgusting. Everyone else was fine and---

---anyway, this self-possessed man we were completely unfamiliar with (and by we, I mean me and my so-so class) spoke so much about himself.

So much that our eyes were bulging out of our heads.

It was a nice feeling
as if we were in a dimension
as if we were Living and Working in a Virtual World.

This man is not just any ordinary, simple man. He was memorable than most and he may still be now.
He is Erik Hanberg - commissioner, author, and entrepreneur.

He worked in marketing, navigating his career pathway with non-profit organizations.
He started theatre and became founder of The Horatio Theater project in which he staged plays and musicals. From there, he was able to create opportunities for filmmakers by bringing new ideas, writing and directing films and short videos. He also does podcasts, discussing media trends in books and movies (he still does this today). From all that he has done in his career, two of his biggest accomplishments have been writing/publishing his books and starting/managing his own business with his wife. Erik has written mystery novels and science fiction books such as The Lattice Trilogy and Beautyman Mysteries. Almost all of his books have been well-reviewed by numerous readers. Erik has also started a business, Side x Side Creative, with his wife dedicated to providing non-profit companies helpful advice for management with creative talent and expertise.

Hearing Erik's story of him navigating through his career has taught me much about the ways in which technology can influence how one may manage or maintain their business. Because Erik had experience using many capabilities of technology, he used much of his creativity in using technology to boost his interest and career. I find him to be very inspirational when it comes to creativity. Technology may have its common uses, but Erik's story has brought me a realization that it's the way you use things that can help or benefit you. At some point, towards the end of his story, he noted that he took opportunities once he saw them..

..and this has also helped me to want to do the same (because you'll never know when something bright might hit you).


Word Count: 414

Comments

Post a Comment